• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Professional Advice.....

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Ok, need opinions/thoughts here...I applied for a job at a law firm last week and got it...but the medical office I interviewed with last week called me back for a second interview. I'm going tomorrow.
So...the thing with the law firm is that I'd be able to step back into that work fairly easily, even though it's not the area of practice I'm used to. But what has me intrigued is that he is a personal injury attorney (of which I don't usually care for, but this one seems to have a sincerity about him) and I would be working with a lot of medical records and bills and contacting local healthcare facilities. He seemed quite pleased that I am familiar with the coding world and he said that is much needed with the work I'd be doing. If I did work for him, I would keep up with my coding credentials but I wouldn't be working toward getting that scornful "A" removed!
Of course, I may not get offered the medical office job nor may I even want it, I just don't know if I should give up so easily on the coding career and "settle" for the law firm or continue my search for a job in the coding field if I don't get the one I'm interviewing for tomorrow. I told the attorney I'd get back to him Wednesday morning. Thoughts, anyone?

Sparky

Hi TheresaR, mirror image of what I am dealing with currently, I too work for a PI law firm, oh yes, I heard the same thing, them being pleased with my familiarity in coding, medical background, it's is much needed........They always have that sincerity about them that's how they get you. I felt the same way, that this would be a good fit at least til I graduate, but for me it's not a good fit. As stated before, I am doing more and more paralegal work then the use of my medical background.

We certainly do have a lot in common, my thoughts, take the second interview, see what they offer, negotiate on an offer if given. It is a chance to take, yes, I understand we need a job but you always say to yourself, "What if"? TheresaR, Follow your heart, trust your instincts, it's hard , trust me, I know.

I went through the "What ifs" and regretted it. I am still waiting on that interview for the medical office position. Right now, I am very miserable:( at my job, but I still go work every day, still putting out resumes at night, and right now only receiving, "after careful consideration, we're sorry but you have not been chosen for this position" or "we decided to go with other candidates". I wish I could give you a better answer.

Wishing you the very best on your second interview.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
TheresaR, I agree with Sparky. Follow your heart and trust your instincts. Do what is right for you and don't rush into anything. Go to the second medical office interview and see what they have to offer. Who knows? You may get that position. Keep us updated and let us know what happen on your second interview.

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Hey, all! I went to my second interview. I think it went ok. Hard to tell. If I don't get offered the job, I will assume it's because I don't have any experience. Sounds like a lot to take on as a newbie, although I do think I could handle it all. I still don't know what to do about tomorrow morning. I need to call the attorney in the morning and talk specifics but I still don't want to give him an answer until I see if I get an offer from the medical office. I'm afraid he'll grow impatient and give up on me and then I'll not get offered the medical office job. Stress!

Sparky--I totally hear what you are saying about the law office stuff. You definitely sound like you speak from experience.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Good Luck, TheresaR! I do hope that you get the medical office position. Like I said in my last posting, do what you feel is right for you.